U.N. council pushes Libya truce, tells other countries to stay out

Brasil Notícia Notícia

U.N. council pushes Libya truce, tells other countries to stay out
Brasil Últimas Notícias,Brasil Manchetes
  • 📰 Reuters
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 40 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 19%
  • Publisher: 97%

The United Nations Security Council on Friday condemned a deadly air strike on a...

UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations Security Council on Friday condemned a deadly air strike on a migrant detention center in Libya, called for the warring parties to commit to a ceasefire and urged other countries not to intervene or exacerbate the conflict.

But it was unable to quickly issue a statement, which needs consensus, because the United States could not agree to it, diplomats said. Diplomats said the statement issued on Friday was largely unchanged from the language discussed on Wednesday. The U.N. Security Council has struggled to unify on how to deal with the renewed violence. Shortly after Haftar began his offensive, the United States and Russia both told council colleagues that they could not support a resolution that would have called for a ceasefire in Libya.

The warring parties both enjoy military support from regional powers. Haftar’s forces have been supplied for years by the United Arab Emirates and Egypt, while Turkey recently shipped arms to Tripoli to stop Haftar’s assault, diplomats say.

Resumimos esta notícia para que você possa lê-la rapidamente. Se você se interessou pela notícia, pode ler o texto completo aqui. Consulte Mais informação:

Reuters /  🏆 2. in US

Brasil Últimas Notícias, Brasil Manchetes

Similar News:Você também pode ler notícias semelhantes a esta que coletamos de outras fontes de notícias.

Libya claims UAE bombed migrant center with US-made jetLibya claims UAE bombed migrant center with US-made jetLibya's UN-backed government claims the United Arab Emirates used a US-made F-16 fighter jet in Wednesday's attack on a migrant detention center
Consulte Mais informação »

Migrants trapped in Libya face deadly choices on land, at seaMigrants trapped in Libya face deadly choices on land, at sea'My days are dark here,' said one teenager from sub-Saharan Africa who survived a deadly airstrike hitting a migrant detention center in Libya.
Consulte Mais informação »

UN Security Council fails to condemn attack on Libya migrant centreUN Security Council fails to condemn attack on Libya migrant centreAt least 44 people were killed when the air strike blamed on commander Khalifa Haftar's forces hit the Tajoura detention centre late Tuesday and more than 130 were severely wounded, according to the UN.
Consulte Mais informação »

UN says Libyan guards reportedly shot at migrants fleeing air strikesUN says Libyan guards reportedly shot at migrants fleeing air strikesThe death toll from the attack has risen to at least 53. A UN humanitarian report said there were two air strikes, not one as reported earlier, and that guards shot at migrants who were trying to run for their lives.
Consulte Mais informação »

Migrants say Libya militias conscripted them to clean armsMigrants say Libya militias conscripted them to clean armsCAIRO (AP) — Migrants who survived the deadly airstrike on a Libyan detention center said Thursday they had been conscripted by a local militia to work in an adjacent weapons workshop. The...
Consulte Mais informação »

The Latest: Boat with 86 migrants capsizes off TunisiaThe Latest: Boat with 86 migrants capsizes off TunisiaA boat carrying 86 migrants from Libya sank in the Mediterranean overnight and only three people on board survived. The deadly shipwreck came a day after an airstrike on a Libyan detention center killed at least 44 migrants.
Consulte Mais informação »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 23:03:44