Mike Pompeo confirmed for the first time that the U.S. government believes Iran was 'likely' to blame for the Ukraine plane crash
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo confirmed for the first time that the U.S. government believes Iran was "likely" to blame for the downing of a Ukrainian airliner that crashed shortly after takeoff in Tehran earlier this week.
Canada and Ukraine are "working to get their resources on the ground to conduct that thorough investigation," Pompeo said Friday. "We'll learn more about what happened to that aircraft. When we get the results of the investigation, I'm confident we and the world will take appropriate actions in response."
Also on Friday, Mnuchin and Pompeo unveiled fresh sanctions on several Iranian officials and sectors in response the missile attack, as promised by President Donald Trump in a televised address earlier in the week. Mnuchin said that the executive order signed by Trump to authorize the new sanctions would “allow us to designate other sectors in the future as we think is appropriate.”
The additional penalties come on top of crippling sanctions already in place by the U.S. Pompeo said Friday that under the Trump administration, Washington's economic sanctions had choked off Tehran's access to "roughly" 90 percent of its foreign currency reserves and decreased revenues in the country by 80 percent.
Brasil Últimas Notícias, Brasil Manchetes
Similar News:Você também pode ler notícias semelhantes a esta que coletamos de outras fontes de notícias.
Iranian missile likely caused Ukraine plane crash, Pompeo says; Iran urges investigators for informationSecretary of State Mike Pompeo confirmed that the US suspects an Iranian missile caused the deadly crash of a Ukrainian passenger jet in Iran.
Consulte Mais informação »
Plane Crash in Iran Devastates Tight-Knit Iranian-Canadian CommunityCanada lost 63 people in the ill-fated Ukraine International Airlines flight, nearly half from Edmonton; 'People feel like they’ve lost a limb.'
Consulte Mais informação »
Pompeo defends strike on Iranian general amid scrutiny over security threatPressed on claim Iranian Gen. Soleimani was plotting an 'imminent attack,' Sec. Mike Pompeo says, 'This was gonna happen. And American lives were at risk...We would have been culpably negligent' not to recommend strike.
Consulte Mais informação »
Pompeo, Mnuchin detail new sanctions on top Iranian officialsJUST IN: Treasury Sec. Mnuchin announces additional sanctions against Iran. 'The president has been very clear: we will continue to apply economic sanctions until Iran stops its terrorist activities and commits that it will never have nuclear weapons.'
Consulte Mais informação »
Pompeo says US believes 'likely' Iran shot down planeSecretary of State Mike Pompeo said Friday that the US believes it's 'likely' Iran shot down a Ukrainian jetliner that crashed near Iran's capital Tehran earlier this week, killing all 176 people on board the Boeing 737-800.
Consulte Mais informação »