The Met will appeal a court ruling that it breached the rights of organisers behind a Sarah Everard vigil
The force, which has come under sustained criticism for some time, confirmed on Friday it would challenge the decision.
"This is why we feel we must seek permission to appeal the judgment in order to resolve what’s required by law when policing protests and events in the future." However, the four women, Jessica Leigh, Anna Birley, Henna Shah and Jamie Klingler, withdrew from organising the event – a socially-distanced vigil on Clapham Common, South London, not far from where Ms Everard was abducted – after being told they faced £10,000 fines and potential prosecution.
The statement also said: "It's absolutely right that we are held to account for our actions and that there is proper scrutiny of the decisions we make as a police force in upholding legislation and maintaining public order.
Brasil Últimas Notícias, Brasil Manchetes
Similar News:Você também pode ler notícias semelhantes a esta que coletamos de outras fontes de notícias.
Met to appeal ruling that it 'breached rights' of Sarah Everard vigil organisersThe verdict last week was praised as a ‘victory for women’ that set a ‘powerful precedent for protest rights’.
Consulte Mais informação »
Sarah Everard: Killer Wayne Couzens charged with four counts of indecent exposureBREAKING: Sarah Everard's killer Wayne Couzens has been charged with four counts of indecent exposure.
Consulte Mais informação »
Wayne Couzens: Sarah Everard killer charged with four counts of indecent exposureWayne Couzens has been charged with four counts of indecent exposure which allegedly came before he murdered Sarah Everard.
Consulte Mais informação »
Wayne Couzens charged with indecent exposure weeks before Sarah Everard murderThe Crown Prosecution Service said the alleged offences are said to have taken place between January and February last year.
Consulte Mais informação »