Trump’s decision to allow U.S. companies to continue selling to Huawei Technologies Co. followed an extensive lobbying campaign by the U.S. semiconductor industry.
President Trump’s decision to allow U.S. companies to continue selling to Huawei Technologies Co. followed an extensive lobbying campaign by the U.S. semiconductor industry that argued the ban could hurt America’s economic and national security.
Representatives of chipmakers last month met with Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin to argue that the decision to place the company on a so-called entity list could hurt the country, people familiar with the meeting said. Their talking points seem to have found their way to Trump. After concluding a high-stakes meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Osaka, Japan, on Saturday, the U.S. president said American firms weren’t pleased with his Huawei policy and announced that he has agreed to let them keep shipping some of their components and technology.
White House trade advisor Peter Navarro on Tuesday said Huawei’s involvement in 5G networks remains a “national security concern” but the sale of a “small amount of low-level chips” isn’t a “bad thing” if it persuades China to return to trade negotiations.Although China hawks in Congress and Trump’s administration feared a potential reversal of the export ban, U.S. industry has been pushing the White House to ease restrictions that require American companies to get a U.S.
Chipmakers have been placed in a tough spot by the trade dispute and security-related action against Huawei. China is their biggest market, providing about a third of revenue. They say that not all exports to Huawei and its affiliates pose a security risk and that much of what’s sold there is easily replaceable with non-U.S. products. Given the massive cost of research and development for chips, continuing to miss out on revenue could hurt their competitiveness.
Brasil Últimas Notícias, Brasil Manchetes
Similar News:Você também pode ler notícias semelhantes a esta que coletamos de outras fontes de notícias.
Despite China concessions, Trump encouraged to keep pressure on HuaweiPresident Trump announced Saturday that Huawei, which became one of the major pivot points of trade negotiations between the US and China, would be free to buy some products from US tech companies.
Consulte Mais informação »
Cramer reveals winners and losers in Trump's Huawei blacklist reversal'If you're making components for telco infrastructure, I think you got a pretty big problem,' the 'Mad Money' host says.
Consulte Mais informação »
Texas jury teaches Huawei a 'hard lesson,' says US chip startup cleared of trade secret theft'Even though we're small, we fought a hard fight. And we won. That'll send a pretty strong message to Huawei,' says CNEX co-founder Alan Armstrong.
Consulte Mais informação »
China's Huawei awaits U.S. Commerce nod on resuming usage of Google AndroidChina's Huawei said on Monday it is awaiting guidance from the U.S. Departm...
Consulte Mais informação »
No Huawei ban in Dutch 5G rollout: governmentThe Dutch government will force telecoms companies to vet their equipment suppli...
Consulte Mais informação »
'I don't believe there will be a deal' between US and China, says Republican senatorA U.S.-China trade deal is highly unlikely and there is 'no way' Huawei will be allowed to sell into the U.S. market, a Republican Senator told CNBC Tuesday.
Consulte Mais informação »