Demonstrations against Lebanon’s political elite are expected as civil-society groups demand justice for the deadly explosion in Beirut a year ago
BEIRUT—Demonstrations against Lebanon’s political elite are set to be held on Wednesday as civil-society groups demand justice for thehas so far failed to provide accountability for one of the biggest nonnuclear explosions in history. The explosion killed more than 200 people, injured some 7,000 and devastated some of the Lebanese capital’s liveliest residential and commercial areas.
Activists accuse the ruling class of obstructing the investigation, which has led to more than two dozen arrests but not of any ministers or senior officials, many of whom are protected by immunity that Parliament has refused to lift. Mada, a secular political group, called for people to gather at one of the neighborhoods devastated by the blast at 3:30 p.m. local time. “Justice for the victims, revenge against the regime,” the group said in an Arabic Instagram post.
Paul Naggear, whose 3-year-old daughter was killed in the explosion, urged people to come out and protest against the political establishment. “We all have suffered,” he said. “This is a day of solidarity.”
Brasil Últimas Notícias, Brasil Manchetes
Similar News:Você também pode ler notícias semelhantes a esta que coletamos de outras fontes de notícias.
A year ago: Death and birth at hospital hit by Beirut blastBEIRUT (AP) — Emmanuelle Khnaisser had been in labor all day, and now it was in the last stages. Her baby — her first — was crowning. Five floors below, Jessica Bezdjian was just coming in through the entrance of Beirut’s St.
Consulte Mais informação »
One year on, Beirut port blast survivors still await justiceLebanon’s political elite has been accused of corruption and mismanagement that led to August 4, 2020 explosion in which more than 214 people died.
Consulte Mais informação »
One year on, Beirut blast victims await justiceThe domestic investigation has yet to determine what triggered the blast, where the chemicals originated from or why they were left unattended for six years.
Consulte Mais informação »
Beirut blast survivor fears his trauma will never heal even if he migratesShady Rizk survived the port explosion that killed more than 200 people, leaving him with 350 stitches all over his body and face. He now plans to move to Canada but the impact of his ordeal lives on.
Consulte Mais informação »
Lebanese officials knew risks before Beirut blast, rights group saysLebanese officials knew risks before last year's Beirut port blast, Human Rights Watch says. The explosion, caused by the chemicals stored unsafely at the port for years, killed more than 200 people and injured thousands.
Consulte Mais informação »
My grandmother’s home survived last year’s blast. Beirut may never recover“The blast has left its mark – on my grandmother and on the rest of the country”: margaretkadifa describes how the explosion in Beirut last year has taken its toll
Consulte Mais informação »